On May 16, 2015, OakBend Medical Center had a wonderful time celebrating 65 years of serving the Fort Bend County community. OakBend Medical Center was founded in 1950 as Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital by a group of private citizens, led by Mr. and Mrs. A.P. George, who were motivated by the need for a hospital in Fort Bend County. The hospital was built on 25 acres of land donated by the George Family at the site of OakBend’s current Jackson Street campus.
As the community grew, so did the hospital. Multiple expansions brought the Jackson Street campus to 184 beds including a 35-bed skilled nursing facility, which is housed in the only remaining structure of the original hospital. In 2009, OakBend opened its second full-service hospital on Williams Way at US 59 with 57 beds including the most advanced nursery in Fort Bend County.
In the past seven years, OakBend has developed new services, opened new locations, and built an extensive network of partnerships to drive necessary revenue into the organization. Using an innovative growth strategy, the hospital has transformed itself, ensuring that it will be a healthcare resource for the people of Fort Bend County for generations to come.
Today, OakBend is the largest healthcare provider in Fort Bend County with three full-service hospitals, a free-standing emergency center, three free-standing outpatient imaging centers, and five clinics. OakBend now employs almost 850 staff and has more than 370 physicians on staff, more than doubling its size in the last seven years. We look forward to continuing to serve Fort Bend County with the highest quality of care and compassion.