On July 23, 1947, at the invitation of Mr. and Mrs. A.P. George, the following people met at the A.P. George farm for the purpose of organizing and establishing a hospital in Fort Bend County. Each of these individuals was asked to associate themselves with the hospital and each accepted: A.P. George, Mamie E. George, A.E. Myers, C.L. Dutton, J.A. Wessendorff, W.C. Minkwitz, Wharton Weems, P.E. Peareson, R.M. Darst, W.H. Morehead, and John M. Moore, Jr.
These public spirited citizens reviewed findings on the health needs of Fort Bend County and concluded that a real need did exist in this area for a hospital. The J.H.P. Davis home in Richmond, consisting of approximately twenty-five acres, was donated by Mr. and Mrs. A.P. George as the site for the hospital.
In October 1947, Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital was chartered as a non-profit hospital. A.E. Myers was elected President of the Board of Directors. Other board members included John M. Moore, C.L. Dutton, W.C. Minkwitz, A.P. George, Mrs. Mamie E. George, Joe A. Wessendorff, Wharton Weems, R.M. Darst, P.E. Peareson and W.H. Morehead.
The hospital was completed with fifty-one fully equipped beds, and on January 15, 1950, the formal opening ceremonies of the hospital were held. The first patient was admitted at 8:00 p.m. on the same day. Since that time, the hospital has stood to serve all persons needing care.
In 1957, the facilities of Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital were expanded to care for the increasing number of patients requiring hospital treatment. Included in this expansion program was a new patient wing consisting of 26 private and two semi-private rooms and a nursing station with storage area. Other features included an emergency area, an autopsy room and storage space.
In 1962 and 1963, additions to Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital included a Physical Therapy Department and a surgery and recovery room. A complete Obstetrical Department, with fourteen patient beds, four labor rooms, two delivery rooms and a nursery was also added. The Business Office was remodeled and expanded along with the construction of the Administrator's Office and Medical Records Department. The C.V. Nichols Memorial Library was also included in the expansion program. The estimated cost of the total expansion was over one-half million dollars.
In 1969, the facilities of Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital were again expanded. A complete new wing was added which included 36 patient beds, a Coronary Care Unit with five beds, lobby, waiting rooms and modern nurses' station with a separate unit for preparing medications. A chapel, donated by Mr. and Mrs. August Myers was also included in the new wing. Other areas that were added or expanded included new Laboratory, X-ray, dietary, mechanical and storage facilities. The estimated cost was again over one-half million dollars.
All but one wing of the facility was demolished on October 29, 1986, at which time a new 185-bed facility was opened to better serve the community. In 2004, Polly Ryan Memorial Hospital changed it's name to OakBend Medical Center. In 2009, OakBend Medical Center opened it's Williams Way Campus at 22003 Southwest Freeway, Richmond, Texas 77469 with 57 beds and in 2012, OakBend Medical Center's Jackson Street location at 1705 Jackson Street, Richmond, Texas 77469 expanded to 184 beds.
OakBend Medical Center is the largest full service healthcare facility in Fort Bend County including two full service hospital campuses, many specialty locations and physician offices. OakBend proudly provide these services: Acute Care, Ambulatory Care, Bone Density Studies, CAT Scan, Cardiology, Chaplain Services, Chronic Disease Management, Colorectal Surgery, Chronic Illness Management, Community Outreach, Critical Care, Dermatology, Diabetic Care, Diagnostic Imaging, Digital Mammography, Ear, Nose and Throat Services, Endocrinology, Emergency Medicine, Family Healthcare, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Health Education, Hematology, Immunizations, Infectious Disease Treatment, Intensive Care, Internal Medicine, Labor and Delivery, Laboratory, MRI, Neonatal Intensive Care, Nephrology, Neurology, Nutritional Counseling, Obstetrical Services, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Physical Therapy, Plastic and Reconstructive Services, Podiatry, Pulmonology, Radiology, Sleep Study Labs, Sports Medicine Surgery, Thyroid Disease Care, Urology, Weight Loss Management, Women’s Services, Workman's Comp Cases and Wound Care.
OakBend Medical Center is one of the best equipped community hospitals in the area with the newest technology, state-of-the-art information systems and patient diagnostic equipment.